Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Wonderful LONG Weekend!

I'm a bit late to post this, but better late than never! This past weekend was a wonderful long weekend, and busy as usual!

Friday was an exciting day as it was my second fresh, local organic vegetable delivery! I really look forward to Fridays to find out what I get each week, and to plan delicious and different things to make with them. Here is a picture of last week's produce:


It includes:
  • a head of lettuce
  • 1 bag of mixed salad greens
  • 1 bag of pea sprouts
  • 1 bag of snap peas
  • 1 bag of snow peas
  • 1 bag of 6 potatoes
  • 1 bag of swiss brown mushrooms
  • 1 bunch of swiss chard
  • 1 bunch of carrots
  • 1 head(?) of broccoli
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1 white onion
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 bag of scapes (they have a slight garlicky, oniony taste - very good in the place of either vegetable)
You may be wondering what some of the recipes I've been making with these are. Last week I made a stir fry, a quinoa salad with zucchini and mushrooms, a hot swiss chard and artichoke dip, and lots of salads, toasted tomato sandwiches (yum!), and eating raw snap peas. Lily LOVES snap peas. She asks for some at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, an indulgence I'm all-too-happy to give in to! :) So far this week, I made a homemade mushroom soup (so good!), lots of salads and raw snap peas (of course), and just the regular steaming of some veggies.

Hot swiss chard and artichoke dip


One more day until the next veggie delivery! I'm going to buy a new cooler this week to receive them in, since we've been borrowing an old one from my Mom.

Back to the topic at hand, on Saturday we went strawberry picking at Proulx Farms with my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew. We picked 2 baskets of berries (and Lily ate quite a few while picking!), which ended up being made into 8 jars of jam, chocolate covered strawberries, plain strawberries for snacking, and I might finish the last of them (those that are still good, that is!) into a strawberry loaf. That evening, I got together with a few friends for some drinks and appetizers (this was what I made the swiss chard and artichoke dip for!) - good fun, better company! :)

Sunday was Canada Day! Lily was very excited about this, and kept asking if we were GOING to Canada Day. No amount of explaining that Canada Day was just a day of celebrating changed her question! :P In the morning, we ended up stopping by my best friend's place to pick up Lily's very own Canada Day shirt. We returned home for Lily's nap, and I made some lemon cupcakes to bring to the BBQ we would be attending at my Mom's place. When Lily woke up, she helped me decorate them by putting the red sprinkles on top of the white buttercream icing I spread on them! She did a great job, and loved helping.

Cupcake decorating! Yes, I cheated and used canned icing :P

We then headed over to my Mom's place for a family BBQ, where there were 21 attendees! It was a big event! There was lots to eat as everyone brought a little something to share. Lily got her toenails painted by her great-aunt, with the colour matching perfectly with her sandals. Lily did some swimming in the community pool with her uncle and cousins. She also found a nice big caterpillar, which we put back in a tree!

Hello, Mr. Caterpillar

Matching shoes and toes!

Swimming with Uncle Scot

No fireworks this year, but maybe next year we'll last that long!

On Monday, we went to the beach with my best friend and her family. We spent a good part of the morning and early afternoon there, enjoying the swimming, seeing the pirate ship, playing in the sand, and a picnic lunch. It was nice being able to spend a lot of time with them there, it was the perfect day for it!



Lily then played out back in her kiddie pool with her best friend while the adults got the chance to sit and talk (and keep the wild kids under control!).

Finally, on Tuesday we went to my best friend's place for dinner to celebrate her son (and my Godson)'s THIRD birthday! It was just a small gathering for supper, since the big birthday bash will be in a couple of weeks for both of her little munchkins (the other turns ONE soon!). Happy birthday, little man!

See, told you we were busy ;)

3 comments:

  1. I hope your grass recovered from the soaking they gave it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think we now have the nicest grass on the block! :P haha! Lily was talking about the grass castle today :)

      Delete
  2. Don't you just love busy summer weekends?

    ReplyDelete