Total Pageviews

Friday, July 13, 2012

5K Training - Week 4, Run 1 (Getting Stronger!)

Well, here I am. 4 weeks in. 10 runs done. And it feels great. Amazing, actually. Looking back to 4 weeks ago, before I'd completed my first run, I was skeptical. Not skeptical that I'd be able to complete a run, I knew that following a couch to 5K plan would work, if I stuck to it. No, I was skeptical that I'd enjoy running. But here I am. Today, I actually enjoyed my run! In fact, looking back to 5 or 6 weeks ago, before I committed to doing the Army Run, I was convinced I'd never run. It was always a goal, to run in a race, but that first step of signing up just kept getting pushed back. I'm glad I took that first step.

So, today's run consisted of 16 minutes of running, 15 1/2 minutes of walking. It started with the usual 5 minute warm up walk, followed by a 3 minute run, 1 1/2 minute walk, 5 minute run, 2 1/2 minute walk, 3 minute run, 1 1/2 minute walk, 5 minute run and the final 5 minute cool down walk. I started my first run when my phone told me to, and even though it was the same amount of time running as the long runs last week, it didn't feel long at all. I was surprised when my phone told me that I only had 1 minute left of running. I wasn't tired in the least. Even my first 5 minute run was not difficult.

Overall, the biggest obstacle I felt today was my legs. They were definitely feeling it after the first long run was done, and by the end of the second long run, they were done! That last run was definitely a slow pace. However, oddly enough, my lungs weren't tired at all. Not a bit. I wasn't winded at all from running! I remember thinking, "What the hell!" as I was running. I controlled my breathing, and it seems to be paying off. I feel like this week will be awesome to build up my leg strength if that's the biggest obstacle right now! I'll have to push myself to go faster next run.

The route I took today was 3.98 km, including the walking times. So close to 5K!

2 comments:

  1. Good job Christina, I am so happy that this is now enjoyable. I am glad you stuck to it and it should be easier from now on. Don't give up!! I think you meant 3.8 miles not km is close to 5K but that is a very good distance for your training.
    Stephane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephane! :) I used mapmyrun.com to see how far I ran, and it was 3.98 km (or ~2.5 miles) :) But once I'm running for longer in a few weeks, I think I'll get to the 5K as I expand my route!

    ReplyDelete