Total Pageviews

Friday, August 10, 2012

Corn! Sweet, Golden, Glorious Corn!

It's no secret. I, like most normal human beings, ADORE corn on the cob. And not just a little bit, either. I look forward to this time of year to enjoy this amazing vegetable. With just a little bit of butter and salt (and of course, some toothpicks for the corn that inevitably gets stuck in your teeth!), it's perfect as a side, or even as a light meal on its own.

So you can only imagine my excitement when I read the blog for Bryson Farms (where I get my vegetables delivered from) and it mentioned that corn was now in season and that it would appear in this week's basket.

And, other than only getting 2 ears, this corn did not disappoint! I don't know if it's because I haven't bought any corn on the cob from the grocery store this year (so this was my first cob of the season), but I don't remember corn being this tasty, sweet and tender. Lily loved it, too!

So, what else did I get this week?


  • Head of lettuce
  • Broccoli
  • Kale
  • Bag of brown mushrooms
  • Big container of heirloom tomatoes (colourful!)
  • Bag of small red potatoes
  • Basil
  • A funny-looking squash
  • Zucchini
  • Salad greens
  • Radish sprouts
  • Yellow beans
  • Garlic
  • 2 ears of corn
  • Heirloom carrots
  • 1 big yellow onion
Pretty good haul! I am overloaded with carrots, so I'm planning on trying a grated carrot salad (thanks, Nicole!). I may send the recipe to Something New Thursdays over at Mama Lego's blog! I also plan on using some of the kale in a Paleo recipe I'm cooking up for some friends who just had their second baby. Perhaps for the meal plan, some homemade mushroom soup with the mushrooms, some potato salad, and a tomato salad!

Lily is enjoying picking up all the tomatoes, including this ginormous black/green/red one!

Ahhhh. So golden. So tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Our kids just had corn on the cob for the first time recently and loved it too!

    ReplyDelete