Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

5K Training - Week 7, Run 1

Woo hoo, I've made it to Week 7 of my training! On Sunday, that is :) Just catching up on writing about it now. This week, all of my runs are 25 minutes long with 5 minute warm-up and cool-down walks at the start and finish.

Mentally, this had to have been the most difficult run yet. It was extremely humid outside, even in the evening, and my head just wasn't in the game. I wasn't even 10 minutes running when I started to have thoughts about stopping creeping into my head. It wasn't that my legs were overly tired (tired yes, but nothing more than usual). It wasn't that my lungs had had enough (I've managed to get pretty good control of my breathing so that these runs don't wind me). It was all a mental trick. It's okay if you stop. You can stop part way and walk, it's humid out. No! It's okay if you take a quick minute to walk. No! That will just make it harder! So despite my thoughts, I pushed through and ran the whole way. The last 5 minutes were difficult, and I slowed way down. However, I mapped out my run and found that I'd ran pretty much the same distance as my last run, 3.68km! If I can just keep up the pace I started out with, I could definitely increase my distance in that time!

Yesterday was supposed to be run 2, but there was a lot of rain... so let's hope today's run goes better than the last one!

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you. I can't wait for the army run!!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling well. If its not my asthma, it's the heat that tries to get the best of me. It's so easy to just give in but I just keep pushing - and I'm only at the three-minutes intervals! :S
    I admire your strength and dedication and am SO proud of you for doing this!! :)

    ReplyDelete